You can use variables to manage information that you don’t know in advance or that may change. Folder variables can be used in all templates, releases, and dashboards within a folder hierarchy to manage shared information (unlike release variables, which are limited to a single release or template). Folder variables are available in Release 8.6.0 and later.
Note: From 10.1.0 release, the password folder variables are available in the Connections settings page.
To create, edit, and delete folder variables, from the navigation pane, under Overview group, click Folders, select a folder, and then select Variables. The Folder variables page is only available to users who have the Edit folder variables folder permission.
A folder will inherit folder variables from its parent folder. If you redefine a variable of the same name in a child folder, it will override the parent folder’s variable.
Anyone with permissions to view the folder and the release/template contained within should be able to see the folder variables in read-only mode from the release variables screen.
Important: Folder variables start with
folder. so any release variables that start with
folder. will be invalid.
When upgrading Release to 8.6.0, or importing templates from older versions, any current release variables with
folder. prefix will be converted to have a
In case of variable name collision the variable will be suffixed with
n is the number of repeated conversion attempts starting from 1.
To create a folder variable:
- Click New folder variable.
- In the Variable name field, enter a name for the variable. The
folder.prefix is required.
- In the Label field, optionally enter a user-friendly label for the variable.
Select the variable type from the Type list:
- Text: A string of letters or numbers
- List box: A drop-down list of selectable values that can be reordered and can contain duplicates (available in Release 6.0.0 and later)
- Password: A password
- Checkbox: A true or false value (Boolean)
- Number: An integer
- Multi-select List box: A drop-down list to select the multiple values
- Date: A value with formatted time and date
- List: A list of values that can be reordered and can contain duplicates
- Set: A set of values that cannot be reordered and cannot contain duplicates
- Key-value map: A set of keys and corresponding values
Tip: Password variables can only be used in password fields, and other types of variables can only be used in non-password fields unless the ‘Allow passwords in all fields’ is checked on the release properties tab. If selected, passwords can be used in any text field, and the value will be scrubbed from the task output.
In the Value field, enter the value(s) for the variable. To add a value to a list or a set, type the value in the box and press ENTER.
If a folder variable does not have a value and it is used in a task, it will appear as a blank space in the task.
In the Description fields, enter the description of the variable.
- Click Create to create the variable.
To edit a folder variable, click it in the list. Note that you cannot change the variable’s name or type.
If you change the variable’s value, planned tasks that use that variable will reflect the new value. Completed, skipped, or failed tasks will reflect the old value.
To delete a folder variable, click Delete under Actions.
Note: If you delete a folder variable that is still in use, tasks that use the variable will not be able to start.
In Release version 8.5 and later, you can use variables inside another variable.
For more examples, see Variables in Release