The XL Release Ansible plugin allows XL Release to run playblooks on an Ansible host. It includes the following task types:
- Ansible: Run Playbook
In the release flow editor, Ansible tasks have a blue border.
- Run a playbook on an Ansible server
The Ansible plugin requires the XL Release Remoting plugin to be installed.
To set up a connection to a Unix server running Ansible:
- In XL Release, go to Settings > Shared configuration and on Unix Host click . You can also set up the configuration on a specific folder. For more information, see Folder level configuration.
- In the Address box, enter the IP address or host name of the remote machine running Ansible.
- In the Port box, enter the SSH port of the remote machine.
- In the Username and Password boxes, specify the user name and password of the SSH user that XL Release should use when connecting to the remote machine.
In the Sudo Username box, enter the user name of the
sudouser on the remote machine (for example,
The Ansible: Run Playbook task type runs an Ansible playbook. It requires you to specify the playbook in YAML format. You can specify the playbook:
- By providing YAML in the task
- By providing the location of a YAML on the remote machine
- By providing a URL to a YAML file
You can enter the YAML as plain text in the Playbook box:
Or provide the location of a YAML file that already exists on the target Ansible server in the Playbook Path box:
Or provide a URL for the configuration file in the Url box. If the URL is secure, you must also provide credentials in the Username and Password boxes.
The Run Playbook task automatically saves audit reporting information including the playbook, playbook path, or playbook URL (truncated at 250 characters), as well as Ansible server and user information. This information can be accessed through XL Release audit reporting functionality.
- [XLINT-810] - Added automatic audit reporting to Run Playbook tasks
- XLINT-566 Make “ansibleCmd” property not hidden