Create a Parallel Group
A Parallel Group is a container for tasks that are executed simultaneously.
Note: To group tasks that should be executed in sequence, use the Sequential Group task type. For more information, see Create a Sequential Group.
To add a Parallel Group to a template or release:
- Select Release flow from the Show menu.
- Click Add task at the bottom of the phase. For more information, see Add a task to a phase.
- Select the Core > Parallel Group type.
- Enter a title for the group and click Add.
- Add tasks to the group by clicking Add task in the group or by dragging existing tasks into the group.
In this example, the Deploy tasks and the “Divide test cases” task will start simultaneously. The “Deploy to ACC” group task will finish when all of its subtasks are completed. When the group task is complete, Release will continue with the next task, “Notify QA installation”.
By default, all tasks in a Parallel Group start when the group starts. You can use the planner to create a detailed level planning of the tasks and explicitly express dependencies between tasks.
This is an example of a Parallel Group with three tasks. Task 1 has a set due date.
To connect Task 1 to Task 2, drag an arrow from the right edge of Task 1 to the left edge of Task 2.
The outcome: Task 2 will start after Task 1 is completed.
Task 3 is inside a Parallel Group and is not connected. It will start at the same time as Task 1, when the Parallel Group starts.